The Bible in 90 Days


I recently began a 90-day Bible reading plan using the CSB (Christian Standard Bible). Click HERE to check it out. In God’s kindness, He impressed upon me to do so as a means of hydrating spiritually despite a difficult season of life. Perhaps you can relate to being in a difficult season. If so, saturate yourself in the Word. Read it. Pray it. Sing it. Meditate on it. Discuss it. Proclaim it. I have yet to find anyone who claims more time spent in the Word is time wasted. The Word is one of God’s ways to express comfort to the weary soul. It’s a motivating surge to the spiritually lethargic. It’s a constant reminder of God’s faithfulness to His people and rightful jealousy for His glory. It's a call to take seriously living for His glory.

I’m not writing this blog to chiefly endorse the CSB, though I find it a very readable and accurate translation. I remember thinking the same thing when the ESV (English Standard Version) was released. No matter the translation, what I am promoting is the necessity of soaking in God’s Word, treasuring it in our hearts, and living it out (Psalm 119:11). 90 days may seem daunting, but what it amounts to is 30-60 minutes per day. (I would recommend 15-30 minutes in the morning and 15-30 minutes in the evening.) This is a small portion of our days, our weeks, and our months. As we begin to near the end of 2020, why not commit to a robust, grace-propelled effort to intake vast swaths of God’s record of redemptive love? The 90-day window is still here; you can even plan to close your reading efforts on Christmas Day. What a way to remember our Lord’s first advent—by being assured of His second (Revelation 22:20). 


This is a challenge to jump in to deep water. In no way, however, do I want to make the case for second-rate Christians based on amount of Bible intake. For me, a 90-day plan is helpful right now to flame my affections for Christ. The Lord may have you repetitively reading a particular book of the Bible. Maybe you are memorizing key verses. Perhaps focusing on a New Testament plan is what is most helpful. Wherever you are, keep pursuing Jesus by breathing in deeply the goodness of His Word. I am convinced, however, there are some who need to dive in with me for 90 days. Are you one? If so, let me know. Let’s pursue the Lord together.





Comments