A Nerdy, Unashamed Endorsement


I have yet to meet a believer who altogether dismisses the indispensability and importance of reading Scripture. After all, God’s instruction is to be desired more than gold and honey (Psalm 19:7-11). It shines as a lamp unto the believer’s feet and a light unto their path (Ps 119:105). Every God-breathed page is profitable toward the aim of salvation and maturation in the likeness of Christ (2 Tim 3:14-17). These things being so, this is not an article intended to stuff rationale into your mind hoping you see more clearly the necessity of Bible intake. It is my assumption you are already on-board with this. In a nerdy fashion, I am simply passing along a resource that has personally helped revamp my efforts in Bible reading. (I assure you I am receiving zero kickback for this endorsement!) The resource? The ESV Reader’s Bible, Six-Volume Set.

If you look up this resource on Crossway’s website (publisher) you will be drawn in by these selling points:

“Constructed with materials carefully selected to reflect the beauty of God’s Word, the ESV Reader’s Bible, Six-Volume Set is a unique collection designed for those desiring a cleaner, simpler Bible-reading experience. Printed on European book paper with smyth-sewn binding and packaged in an elegant slipcase, this edition features single column text that is free of all verse numbers, chapter numbers, and footnotes, as well as most section headings—resulting in a unique Bible-reading experience that helps readers encounter and delight in the beauty of God’s Word.”

Some of you may have quickly glossed over the terms “European book paper” and “smyth-sewn binding,” but details such as these have profoundly improved my personal efforts at Bible intake. For someone with eyesight impediments, paper quality is a big deal. Most of my Bibles are printed on paper in which text from other pages bleeds through, making it difficult to focus. This edition takes care of the problem with the use of thicker, cream-colored paper (some bleeding does occur if reading under a bright light or in daylight). More helpful than paper type, though, is the layout. Each volume can easily be handled—the weight of each being comparable to the vast majority of other trade books. The specific binding allows pages to easily lay flat. The cloth-over-board exterior proves each volume’s ability to stand the test of time, and the text type and font size is largely reminiscent of most favorite novels. 

Even more helpful, however, is the omission of verse and chapter numbers, footnotes, and most headings—none of which are inspired. Surpassing the luxuries of quality mentioned above, the lack of such elements has been most beneficial to me. Without verse and chapter numbers, I am finding I am not locking myself into the rhythm of just getting through the next couple of chapters. Nor do I feel pressured to sweep through larger portions of Scripture. By treating and reading Scripture like the book it is, I am increasingly enjoying soaking in the Word, eager to pick up on the grand narrative and primary threads of the Bible’s progression. Instead of worrying about if I am accomplishing my goal of reading for the day (nothing wrong with reading plans), I am motivated to be in the Word more and this is fueling greater intake. I am also noticing that I am able to read with solid comprehension larger portions of Scripture in shorter amounts of time. I am certainly reading for breadth, but oddly enough this approach is deepening my understanding of God’s Word. My spiritual depth-finder has probed deeper terrain as a result of treating the Bible like a book. I am eager to keep reading because the text is drawing me in; I am not being directed by segmented starting and stopping points.

Do I still utilize study Bibles and other scholarly resources? Absolutely! I am discovering in greater measure, though, my need to supplement substantial study with vast amounts of repetitious reading through segments of the Word. This particular resource has been tremendously instrumental toward that end. For example, instead of holding a hefty Bible with all 66 books included, I can read, focus on, and enjoy one unit at a time: Pentateuch, Historical Books, Poetry, Prophets, Gospels & Acts, and Epistles & Revelation. (Even the Poetry volume has a narrative feel to it.)

Okay, enough bragging about the helpfulness of this resource. Instead, allow me to answer a few questions:

Q: Where do I get it?
A: You can purchase the set HERE or HERE, with differing prices.

Q: Is it expensive?
A: In my opinion, it is mildly costly but worth every penny. Currently, you can purchase the set through Amazon for roughly $125. There is a much costlier set, which you can view HERE. If looking for a more economic option, you can purchase just the Gospels HERE for about $25.

Q: What if I prefer another translation?
A: The Christian Standard Bible (CSB) has a high-quality box set available for approximately $130. It is organized into five volumes, not six. Other sets likely exist, but I would recommend starting with one of these.

Q: Where can I get more information?
A: Check out this informative video.

Q: When should I purchase and start reading?
A: Now seems like a good time!