The Identity of the Disciple-maker


Just prior to the Lord’s ascension, He gave His disciples a grand task—disciple-making: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matt 28:19–20).

This is a straightforward commission.  Why do so many of us struggle to do it?  


Perhaps we see disciple-making as a task rather than an identity


Here are five disciple-making truths that New Testament believers should believe about themselves, and therefore embrace an identity suited to the task.


  1. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ.  

“Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:27). The Lord’s statement hear does not contain a random qualification for discipleship. Rather, the Lord is saying that to be His disciple is to do what He does. He lays down His life in service; His disciples should do the same.


Jesus said of Himself in Luke 19:10, “For the Son of Man came to seek and save the lost.” That is, Jesus came to make disciples.  We find Him then equipping and sending His disciples to do the same (Mark 1:16-20; Luke 9:1-6). The commission in Matthew 28:19-20 is nothing more or less than Jesus calling his disciples to do what He has done.


A disciples does what his master does.  If I am a disciple, I make disciples.


  1. I am a steward of the kingdom.

Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people producing its fruits” (Matt 21:43).  This conclusion to the Parable of the Tenants indicates that God views the kingdom as being entrusted to stewards.  The entire parable is predicated on the idea of stewardship, as are other parables (Luke 12:35-48; 19:11-27).


Similarly, the word of the kingdom (the gospel) is depicted in other parables as seed to be sown.  For example, the Parable of the Sower and the Parable of the Mustard Seed in Matthew 13.  It seems that to steward the gospel is to sow it that it may bear fruit.  As Paul notes, “it is required of stewards that they be found faithful,” (1 Cor 4:2). 


If I am a steward of the kingdom, I must spread its message. 


  1. I am an ambassador of Christ.

“Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God” (2 Cor 5:20).  An ambassador doesn’t carry his own message, but the message of the authority who sent him.  In the case of the believer, he is not a mouthpiece for himself, but for his King, Jesus Christ.  


And what is the message of Christ?  “Be reconciled to God.”


Therefore, if I am an ambassador of Christ, my primary message is not the platform of the Republican or Democratic parties, the virtues of Cincinnati Reds fandom, the concept of American exceptionalism, or you-fill-in-the-blank. I can certainly espouse any of those things.  However, my life's message to the world will be that given to me by my King—“be reconciled to God.”


  1. I am a pursuer of relationships.

“And he had to pass through Samaria” (John 4:4). Consider the story of Jesus’ conversation with the woman at the well in John 4. It was customary for Jews to travel the long way around Samaria rather than through Samaria, “for Jews have no dealings with Samaritans” (John 4:9b).  However, Jesus had to pass through Samaria.  In what sense?  He had a mission that involved bringing the good news to all people.  To that end, He pursued people.


Jesus was a great pursuer of people (Mark 1:16-20; 2:13-17; Matt 18:12; Luke 19:5).  Certainly, people flocked to Him, but He also went to them.  He also sent His disciples to the people (Luke 9:1-6).  


As an imitator of Jesus Christ, I don’t wait for relationships to come to me; I cultivate them.  In my neighborhood, workplace, and recreational life, I strive to engage with people for the purpose of sharing the good news.


  1. I am a herald of the gospel.

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light (1 Pet 2:9).  According to Peter, what is at least one reason for my election, my being chosen by God?  To proclaim Him who saved me!  


And what an obvious result if I truly believe what I say I believe!  Hell awaited because of my many sins—my very heart of sinfulness—against a holy God.  But He sent His own eternal Son, the Lord of glory, to stand in my place under the weight of infinite wrath, to rise from the dead as victor over my death, and to transfer His righteous record to my account that I might be declared righteous and reconciled forever to the Father.  He stands ready to do the same for all who repent and trust in Christ.  


I have been chosen not only to be saved but also to herald the God of that salvation to all in peril.


The Great Commission calls us to a task.  Many other truths call us to the identity ideally suited for that task.  May we believe the truth that we are disciple-makers by calling and identity, and believing, make disciples.

Comments