Christ-Centered Contentment

 


During last Sunday's sermon I quoted Puritan pastor Jeremiah Burroughs to help explain the nature of contentment. Just to refresh your memory, here's what he said: 

Christian contentment is that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God’s wise and fatherly disposal in every condition (19).

Part of the beauty and simplicity of this definition of contentment is that it is rooted in a biblical mindset. Specifically, it flows from Paul's words in Philippians 4: "I have learnt to be content whatever the circumstances … I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength" (Phil 4:11,13). thus, Burrough's view of contentment is thoroughly Christ-centered. He says,

Paul’s meaning [in Phil 4:10-20] is that “I find a sufficiency of satisfaction in my own heart, through the grace of Christ that is in me. Though I have not outward comforts and worldly conveniences to supply my necessities, yet I have a sufficient portion between Christ and my soul abundantly to satisfy me in every condition” (18). 

This leads him to see everything as added blessings and comfort, while Jesus himself is necessary. This is the heart of contentment: 

All creatures in the world say contentment is not in us, riches say, contentment is not in me. No, contentment is higher … the soul which, by coming into the school of Christ, by understanding the glorious mysteries of the gospel, comes to see the vanity of all things in the world, is the soul that comes to true contentment … [that soul says] I see that it is not necessary for me to be rich, but it is necessary for me to make my peace with God; it is not necessary that I have a pleasurable life in the world, but it is absolutely necessary that I should have a pardon for my sin; it is not necessary that I should have honor and preferment, but it is necessary that I should have Christ as my portion, and have my part in Jesus Christ; and that I should be saved on the last day…. 

The other things are pretty fine indeed, and I should be glad if God give me them, a fine house, and income, and clothes, and advancement for my wife and children: these are comfortable things, but they are not the necessary things. I may have these and yet perish forever … No matter how poor I am, I may have what is absolutely necessary: that is what Christ and his gospel teaches me (92–93).


You can grab a copy of Burrough's wonderful book, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment and read more to great spiritual profit!  



Comments