More on God's Will

I'm at school all week, so I may not make any substantive entries here. However, if I come across something that would be beneficial, I will certainly pass it along.

I have come across just that kind of thing. It is an older article entitled "Pitfalls in Finding God's Will for Your Life" by R.B. Kuiper. The concept of "hearing the voice of God" is getting more and more accepted in the evangelical world. A variation of this is "listening prayer". It's the idea that God speaks to us through the Holy Spirit outside of the pages of Scripture. It sounds spiritual but it is an implicit denial of the sufficiency of Scripture. This article by Kuiper is a wonderful reminder of how important it is for us to stay grounded in the Word when we begin to think about the concept of God's will. For me to make the claim that God spoke to me is to claim the receipt of extra-biblical revelation and to add to the Word of God.

Take the time to read this article. I pray that it will bless you as it did me. God's Word is complete and sufficient for the salvation and sanctification of His people (2 Tim 3:16-17; 2 Pet 1:3-4).

Comments