Gospel Bullet Points


In the message on Sunday, I quickly rattled off the gospel bullet points that we can use for both sharing the gospel and meditating on the gospel.  A number of people asked me for them after church, so I thought I would post them here. 
I want to clarify that these bullet points are not the gospel itself.  If I were to just say these eight statements to someone, I would not consider that I have shared the gospel with them.  These are just simple statements, easy to remember, that remind me of the theological points I want to cover when I share the gospel.  They are “bare bones,” that is, crucial details are missing, like the facts that Jesus was the Son of God, He rose from the dead, and that only those who repent and trust in Him are saved.  As I share the gospel, I need to make sure I give the whole thing.
So here they are:
1.     God is holy. (Isaiah 6:3, Psalm 99:9)  God is morally perfect, completely separated from sin, and devoted to His own glory.  His holiness and devotion to His own glory are demonstrated in Leviticus 10.
2.     Man is sinful. (Rom 3:10-18, 23)  All men have willfully violated the law of God and sinned against Him.
3.     God is wrathful. (John 3:36, Rom 3:23, Eph 2:1-3)  God’s wrath, while experienced in various ways in this life, culminates in eternal separation from God in a literal hell (Matt 3:12, 7:13,8:12, 10:28, 13:38-42; 2 Thess 1:9).
4.     Man is doomed. (Rom 3:10-20) Man is unable to justify himself before God by doing good works.  In himself, he is hopeless to avoid the wrath of God.
5.     God is gracious. (Exo 34:6; Eph 2:4-7) God is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.  Because of His great love, He moved to save sinners from His own righteous wrath.
6.     Christ was given. (John 3:16; 2 Cor5:21; 1 John 4:10) God loved us in such a way that He gave His Son to live the righteous life we should have lived and to die the death that we should have died. Christ was given as the substitutionary sacrifice for our sins so that we might be forgiven and reconciled to God.
7.     Christ was sufficient. (Acts 2:24-36; 1 Cor 15:12-23; 1 Pet 1:3-5) Jesus Christ was raised from the dead three days later proving that His sacrifice was sufficient to satisfy the wrath of God and secure the future resurrection of all the redeemed.
8.     Man is redeemed. (Matt 3:2; John 3:16; Acts 2:38-39; 3:19-21; 17:30-31; Rom3:23-25; Eph 2:8) All those who repent of their sin and trust in Christ alone to save them will be forgiven of their sin, given eternal life, and reconciled to God.
Posted by Greg Birdwell

Comments