Overcoming Boring, Repetitive Prayer

Those of you who are in a Home Fellowship Group likely have been helped in your prayer life by D.A. Carson’s Praying with Paul.  There is great richness in prayers informed by Scripture. 

Our Wednesday night prayer gathering is finding the same thing as we have begun the practice of praying Scripture together.  If you’ve never done this, I’d highly encourage you to join us.  Praying Scripture has numerous benefits, two of which address a couple of the biggest impediments to consistent prayer.  Those impediments are a wandering mind and mindless repetition.

If you’ve tried to make a habit of praying, it’s likely that you’ve disciplined yourself to find a time and place where you can be alone, uninterrupted.  Everything is perfect.  You begin to pray…and shortly you realize that you’ve stopped praying and are instead thinking about how badly the grass needs to be cut or that conversation you need to have with one of your kids or “where did I put those toenail clippers?”  Then you feel like a clod because you couldn’t focus your attention on the most important Person in existence.  You lament how easily your mind wanders from the magnificent to the mundane. 

Man, you’re a horrible person!  Just kidding.  I’ve done the same thing a million times.  We all have. 

How about this one?

Monday: “Lord, please help my spouse to grow spiritually and help my kids to want to know you.  Please help me to kill my sin.  And please bless the church…” 

Tuesday: “Lord, please help my spouse to grow spiritually and help my kids to want to know you.  Please help me to kill my sin.  And please bless the church…” 

Wednesday: “Lord, please help my spouse to grow spiritually and help my kids to want to know you.  Please help me to kill my sin.  And please bless the church…” 

Thursday-Sunday: (loud snoring sounds)

I can’t say whether God ever gets bored with this kind of thing, but I’ve bored myself to sleep with my own repetitive prayers too many times to count.  A great way to focus the mind and gain a larger vocabulary of prayer is to pray through passages of Scripture. 

There are a couple of excellent resources to help you learn this wonderful practice.  The first is Donald Whitney’s Praying the Bible.  It’s simple and relatively short.  Most people could read it in one sitting.  Talk to people like Anthony Mele and Dave Doerman.  They’ve read it and love it.  They’ll tell you how helpful it is.

The second resource is Matthew Henry’s A Method for Prayer.  Here is a link to an online version.  This is a longer resource than Whitney’s and is a little different in that for the most part it assembles for you a plethora of Biblical passages for different kinds of prayer (adoration, confession, petition, thanksgiving, intercession).  Jason Odel and John Botkin will both tell you how helpful it is. 



Whitney’s resource may be better for teaching you how to pray the Scriptures on your own.  Henry’s resource allows you to just open it up and start praying the words on the page – he’s already gathered the verses for you.  Better yet, grab one of these resources and join us on Wednesday nights to practice this method of prayer corporately.  You will be encouraged and blessed.

Comments