The Cross in the Psalms


“The Psalms do not merely speak of Christ; rather, in the Psalms Christ actually speaks.” —Craig Carter

I couldn’t agree more.  Peter taught in 1 Peter 1:10-12 that the Spirit of Christ worked in the OT authors to predict His sufferings and subsequent glories.  Therefore, it is right to hear the voice of Christ behind the voice of the writers of the Psalms.  As we approach Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday, let’s consider just a few Psalms in which we can hear the Savior on the cross.  I’ll not comment on these verses, but simply allow the Scriptures to speak.  I’m looking forward to worshiping with you on Sunday! 

__________________________

For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet. (22:16)

They divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots. (22:18)

I looked for pity, but there was none, and for comforters, but I found none. They gave me poison for food, and for my thirst they gave me sour wine to drink. (69:20-21)

My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death. (22:15)

I am weary with my crying out; my throat is parched. My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God. More in number than the hairs of my head are those who hate me without cause; mighty are those who would destroy me, those who attack me with lies. (69:3-4)

But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people. All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; "He trusts in the LORD; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!” (22:6-8)

O LORD, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me; many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God. (3:1-2)

For I hear the whispering of many-- terror on every side!-- as they scheme together against me, as they plot to take my life. (31:13)

They open wide their mouths at me, like a ravening and roaring lion. I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast. (22:13-14)

My enemies say of me in malice, "When will he die, and his name perish?” (41:5)

All who hate me whisper together about me; they imagine the worst for me. They say, "A deadly thing is poured out on him; he will not rise again from where he lies."  (41:7-8)

You have caused my companions to shun me. (88:8)

Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me. (41:9)

You have caused my beloved and my friend to shun me; my companions have become darkness. (88:18)

Because of all my adversaries I have become a reproach, especially to my neighbors, and an object of dread to my acquaintances; those who see me in the street flee from me. I have been forgotten like one who is dead; I have become like a broken vessel. (31:11-12)

Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eye is wasted from grief; my soul and my body also. For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing. (31:9-10) 

Draw near to my soul, redeem me; ransom me because of my enemies!  You know my reproach, and my shame and my dishonor; my foes are all known to you. Reproaches have broken my heart, so that I am in despair. (69:18-20)

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. For it is for your sake that I have borne reproach, that dishonor has covered my face. I have become a stranger to my brothers, an alien to my mother's sons. For zeal for your house has consumed me, and the reproaches of those who reproach you have fallen on me. (69:6-9)

For my soul is full of troubles, and my life draws near to Sheol. I am counted among those who go down to the pit; I am a man who has no strength, like one set loose among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, like those whom you remember no more, for they are cut off from your hand. You have put me in the depths of the pit, in the regions dark and deep. Your wrath lies heavy upon me, and you overwhelm me with all your waves. (88:3-7)

But as for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness. Deliver me from sinking in the mire; let me be delivered from my enemies and from the deep waters. (69:13-14)

O LORD, why do you cast my soul away? Why do you hide your face from me? Afflicted and close to death from my youth up, I suffer your terrors; I am helpless. Your wrath has swept over me; your dreadful assaults destroy me. They surround me like a flood all day long; they close in on me together. (88:14-17)

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? (22:1)

This will please the LORD more than an ox or a bull with horns and hoofs. (69:31)


Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God. (31:5)

  

Comments